Representation Through Humiliation

5/06/2005

This Isn't in English!

AP:
President Bush said he likes to use the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo to practice his Spanish, but this year he's practicing his arithmetic.

Bush poked fun at himself in front of about 200 people gathered in the Rose Garden for the White House celebration on May 4, one day before the holiday marking the Mexican troops' defeat of a French army on May 5, 1862.

"My only problem this year is I scheduled the dinner on cuatro de mayo," Bush said. "Next year I'm going to have to work on my math."

Smoooooth. The thing is, no one told him "cinco"=5? I mean, parties like this pass through several people I would imagine. No one thought to bring up the fact that they were scheduling it for the wrong day? The mariachi band, surely, had to know they were celebrating Cinco de Mayo on the fourth. Or is everyone associated with the White House absolutely clueless? Never mind... don't answer that. (sigh.)